Becoming eco-friendly parents is a step towards supporting the future of our planet. There are many small daily tricks that we can adapt to more green life. Being eco-friendly parents means helping the environment and transmitting sensitivity to nature to their children. We have decided to share with you some green ideas that will be useful for organizing your family life. The fundamental principle to which we are inspired is that of the 3 R: reduce, reuse, recycle.
- Choose natural materials for the construction of your home. For floors choose cork or bamboo, renewable plant materials that have the advantage of being resistant to water, insects and protect from heat, cold, and noise. Even doors and windows can be eco-friendly, like the LEED-certified ones, made of recycled materials such as wood, cardboard, metal, plastic, and aluminum: they guarantee poor air infiltration and the acquisition of solar heat to warm the house more. To whiten the house, choose biological varnishes with a low VOC content;
- For energy saving, install solar panels, choose energy-efficient appliances and do not forget to turn off the light when you leave a room;
- Remove your shoes at home. They should be removed right at the door, organizing with slippers at the entrance. Consider that through our shoes we can bring home hundreds of bacteria collected “in the street,” pesticide residues and general dirt. In short, removing them does not cost us anything regarding time and saves a significant amount of dust on our floors. Also, shoes wear out rugs and carpets much more than socks or soft slippers.
- Do not waste water. At home you can install recycling units for used water, to use it again in a non-potable version, such as for car washing or gardening. Recycling saves water as a valuable element for the ecosystem. Do not forget to close the tap while brushing your teeth and take a shower than a bath.
- Organize a corner in your balcony with a small vegetable garden. Growing some small vegetables will be a pleasure and will allow us to eat healthy, organic, sustainable and 0 km food. Put trees in the house. If you do not have a garden in your homes you can opt for bonsais: they will let the fresh air flow into the house and ensure a calm environment.
- For the cleaning of your home, use eco-friendly products or use grandmother’s remedies with natural products such as lemon, vinegar, and bicarbonate.
READ ALSO: HOW TO TEACH KIDS ECOLOGICAL AWARENESS
- Choose organic products, without preservatives, pesticides, and 0 km food;
- Buy seasonal fruits and vegetables;
- Learn the art of homemade: jam, preserves, sauces, home-made pasta, desserts, syrups, liqueurs;
- Use low-energy cooking techniques such as bunk steam cooking that allows you to cook several foods at the same time.
- Did you know that to cook pasta, you don’t have to wait for the water start boiling? It is possible to put the pasta just before the water has started to boil. Also, using the lid while cooking is a good habit: it allows you to cook quickly and thus save on gas and electricity;
- Consume less meat: to produce 1 kg of flesh it takes about 100 cubic meters of water. The water is continuously decreasing and not wasting it is a responsible choice for the protection of our planet.
GREEN GAMES OR TOYS
Create your games together with your children. There are lots of creative recycling ideas online. In this way, your children will have fun twice: while they build their games and while they play. In this way you will teach your children respect for things and the environment, avoiding unnecessary waste and saving money.
Choosing holidays allows the whole family to have fun, relax and regenerate body and spirit. So why not choose green holidays by immersing yourself in nature? Especially for children, outdoor experiences are often the most exciting and beneficial. That’s why a summer camp or a green holiday by the sea or in the mountains for the whole family can be educational and fun.
To encourage immersion in nature, avoid carrying a thousand toys; bring those can be used together in the open air like balloons, rope, kite, handkerchief, etc.
Nature walks are a great way to spend quality time together, having fun, relaxing and observing the wonders of the environment.